Domaine CLOS DE LA CHAPELLE

The exquisite monopole vineyard, Clos de la Chapelle, has a long and colorful history, intertwined with the story of the beautiful chapel, for which it is named, and the historic village of Volnay, once home of the Dukes of Burgundy.  The chapel vineyard is located directly across the lane from the chapel, and beneath the walls of the former château of the Dukes of Burgundy.

Clos de la Chapelle is under the auspices of the Notre Dame de Pitié, to whom it was dedicated in 1540, when this spacious, Gothic chapel was constructed.  The chapel, and adjacent cemetery, is a beautiful and historically significant landmark in the Volnaysian region.

The Dukes of Burgundy constructed a chateau in Volnay in the 8th century, and successive generations of dukes visited or resided in Volnay intermittently through the centuries. Robert II (1248-1306), Duke of Burgundy, received tribute from his barons at the chateau in 1272. His wife, Agnes, daughter of Saint Louis, lived there as well.  The succession of the Duchess of Burgundy to the throne in 1315 was celebrated in Volnay and was ordained by Eudes IV, who would later restore the  château’s chapel.  

Clos de la Chapelle was part of the ensemble of parcels that previously constituted the Bousse d’Or.

One parcel was property of the Brotherhood of the Saint Sacrément and a second parcel belonged to the Carmelite Nuns of Beaune.   The revolution and the buyback of ecclesiastical land as national assets resulted in changing ownership.  The Pinard family acquired the two entities that would later be reunited by Victor Boillot.”

The final Domaine Louis Boillot was comprised of three small premier Cru vineyards: Pommard Les Chanlins (très vieilles vignes), Volnay Carelle sous la Chapelle (now known as Volnay En Carelle), and the monopole Volnay Clos de la Chapelle. With the addition of 8 additional appellations, all premier cru and Grand Cru, we now have eleven distinct terroirs at Domaine Clos de la Chapelle, with a total of 4 hectares in planted vineyards.

Pernand-Vergelesse 1er Cru

“Sous Frétilles”

A nose of citrus and green fruits. In the mouth, this wine of great freshness has a very good minerality and a pleasant length.

Corton-Charlemagne

“Grand Cru”

Aromas of exotic fruits, pear and peach. With a rich structure, this wine also has a pleasant minerality leading to a good finish in the mouth.

Beaune 1er Cru

“Les Teurons”

Floral aromas with blackberry and blackcurrant notes. Good structure and a very nice finish with a touch of minerality.

Volnay 1er Cru

“En Carelle”

Elegant and fine, notes of ripe red berries, oriental spices and violets, slightly mineral.

Volnay 1er Cru

“Clos de la Chapelle Monopole”

On the palate, ample and rounded wine with a gourmet finish. Fine and velvety tannins, a nice long and tangy length.

Corton-Bressandes

“Grand Cru”

Great freshness on the nose. On the palate, it evokes aromas of hot stones, ground and plum. Its length in the mouth is pleasant and complex.